Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Vogue 8536: Tee Shirts!!

So I bought my serger, learned how to thread it, can play with the tension knobs, and now I have sewn knits with it!!  In fact, I've made 2 Tee shirts already!  Woo hoo!

I started with Vogue 8536, a basic tee shirt pattern, and made a short sleeve, V neck version.


I'm wearing a racerback sports bra...the neckline really isn't too wide

Apologies for the odd expression on my face
I cut a size 16 for both, although now looking at the photos, I think I should narrow the shoulders down to a size 14 since the seams are just slightly off of my shoulders (more so in the blue version).  I used my serger for everything except the hemming and topstiching the neckline.  I love my serger!!

Here's the pattern review:

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, although I had a little trouble deciphering the instructions for inserting the V neckband.  I decided to ignore the instructions, think about it a bit, and then plow on ahead.  The neckline on the pink one came out better (beginner's luck I think).  Then I topstitched it down so that it would look more RTW and not roll outwards.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked the neckline and sleeve variations as well as the gathering at the side seams at the bust line to accommodate fullness.  I was a little confused about the instructions for inserting the V-shape neckband, but it worked out in the end. 

Fabric Used:  Modal Blend Jersey knit from Fabric.com

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn't add the side slits nor did I fold up the hem as much as the pattern suggested, instead I only turned up about 5/8".  I prefer to have longer shirts to wear at the gym. I also used clear elastic to stabilize the shoulder seams instead of seam binding.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, absolutely, I will be making some long sleeve versions for this winter!

Conclusion:  A great basic T pattern.  


2 comments:

  1. I think your two tees look fantastic! I love a good basic tee pattern - and your v-necks look very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much. The v's came out pretty well-certainly well enough to wear to the gym :)

      Delete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...