Wednesday, September 28, 2016
I thought I'd still wear them but I never did. I thought I had donated them before I moved. Lo and behold, I found them in my refashion bin and was able to assess what went wrong last time.
I have put on a little weight since I made the first pair and they were a little small in the hips. The waistband also fell on an odd spot which made my stomach poof out over the top. No good. I started my new attempt by cutting a muslin one size larger, a 14. I lengthened the front 1", and I raised the center back up 3/4" increasing to 1" at the side seams to match the front. The fit was good through the hips but very large at the waist. I needed to take it in quite a bit at the center back seam. Rather than just adjusting the center back seam, I took a little off the side seams at the waistline and about 1/2" off at the center back. I didn't want the back pockets to appear too close to the center seam so I shifted them and the back dart outward by 1/2".
I am not a fan of double welt pockets. They look like lips to me. Not the look I'm going for for my back pockets. So I switched them to single welt pockets. I used this excellent tutorial by poppykettle to make for single welt pockets.
I scooped out the CB seam at the seat and it made a big difference. I've never had to do this adjustment before, and was very happy with the result.
Seriously...that is a great view.
Friday, July 22, 2016
I have been sewing all kinds of active wear since I started running regularly. It seems my machine always has a stretch needle on it.
First up, sports bras. I have made several versions of Jalie 2563. I made a size V and lined the fronts with firm powernet in order to have some serious compression. I also lined the backs with less firm powernet. Compression indeed! The negative side effect of this compression is that once sweaty, the bra was really hard to get off. I needed some escape help. So...I tweaked the back and added bra hooks! It was a simple change involving making a "U" shaped cut out of the back the width of the bra hooks I wanted to add. I covered the edges of the U with fold over elastic before attaching the hooks. Now I can get it off without contorting myself.
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
The bikini bottoms I copied directly from my RTW suit, and once I tried it on, it was a little blousy on the back (I’ve never had that problem before!) and I removed some of the length between the legs by taking an extra large seam at the crotch. There is still a little bit of extra fabric but it is acceptable as is. (Sorry: no photos of the bottoms). The fabric was a printed spandex from SpandexWorld.com that I bought quite a while ago and had been saving for something special.
Sunday, May 15, 2016
|Jalie Eleonore Jeans|
|My attempt at the cover pose|
I did a split hem on these, using this excellent tutorial from pattern~scissors~cloth.
|McCall's 6886 blogged here|
I am not a big fan of interlock knit mostly because it has poor recovery. My neckline was a wavy mess when I finished it:
I was industrious and used some stretch thread which I ran through the channeling made by the neck binding. I did not follow the pattern instructions, but used Jalie's method of using a skinny binding. Here is a great tutorial to show how it's done. Once the elastic thread was inside the casing, it was almost gathered. After ironing, however, it came out perfect! Quite the save!!