Pages

Friday, October 12, 2018

No FBA for a while

Friends, I haven't blogged in a while.  In June I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I am 43. I have no family history, and no genetic mutations for it.  But I got it.  It was found during a mammogram (which happened to be done 3 months earlier than "needed") This whole summer has been a cruel, unkind roller coaster of tests, biopsies, treatments, and decisions.

One week ago today I had a bilateral mastectomy.  Reconstruction will happen in a few months.  So...no FBA needed for me for a while.  I am completely deflated and extremely sore.

Pathology was good, I am stage I with no lymph node involvement. I'm still waiting on one final test to come back which will determine if I need any additional treatment.  Right now, I should not need chemotherapy or radiation.  Fingers are crossed.

Here is my outfit of the day:


Hair in braids to keep it off my neck.  I am not allowed to bring my arms above shoulder level.
Hubby's Hawaiian shirt: I need button down tops that are roomy to accommodate swelling
Post Surgical camisole, thankfully paid for by insurance
Lowes apron to hold surgical drains:  $1.50 at Lowes
me made pajama shorts

I feel better every day and have been relaxing and watching lots of TV guilt-free.

Seeing how October is Breast Cancer awareness month and all sorts of pink ribbon items will be popping up in stores, I ask you to take a minute and remember that almost all of these items are about capitalism, not cancer. In many cases, only pennies on the dollar go toward a charity. If you want to give money to help find a cure, donate to a reputable charity that funds research grants, rather than those that promote 'awareness.' Research will find a cure and the causes, not a tee shirt.

So friends, get a mammogram even if you are under 40.  Get a 3D mammogram-this should really be the standard, but isn't.  If you have a family history of cancer, do genetic testing-knowledge is power.  Be well.

Love, Meigan

12 comments:

  1. So sorry you are going through this, but so glad it was found early and you have a great prognosis! So many of us so worried about what to wear (what to sew!) and fail to appreciate the gift of health. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you for speedy healing. I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. Things will get easier and better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you are on this journey. Do practice physical as well as emotional self care. I'm all for testing, treatment and research. It is a devastating journey, but a necessary one. Two breast surgeries for me and extensive mammograms regularly. Keep your head high and thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry - but glad it was found at stage I. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    I may have had my last mammogram due to age, not sure if one more might squeak in before the age limit here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, shit. I'm so sorry. Thank you for posting and the update. I'm glad it was caught early. I hope your girls and husband are also doing as best they can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear how tough your summer has been. You are awesome to shed light on your experience and awareness in others. I pray you continue to recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this has happened to you. Thank you for reminding sewers everywhere to get checked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this.

    THANK YOU though for stating that. People have been a bit offended by my unwillingness to participate in the "awareness" multi-billion dollar scheme. We're well aware. We need more!

    A couple of years ago I found a small irregularity and the doctor told me it was "probably nothing" and since I was "only 37" it was probably not cause for concern.

    Probably? Uhmm, no thank you? I.Want.A.Mammogram. And I advocated and got one (3D) and it was nothing, thankfully.

    Watch all the tv! Take care of yourself friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you Meigan. Hope you recover quickly.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to know about this. Hope you have started curing and will become regular to us soon. Please updated us regularly. will continue to pray.

    Mohammad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, bless you dearest. You look adorable but, more importantly, I wish for you to feel better and to be cured. The sewing world needs you back.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...