Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

A Refashion: From Dad's Golf Shirt to Girl's Golf dress

My husband is rather fussy about his golf shirts.   I had purchased a few at Marshalls for $13 and they were quickly rejected as not being soft enough.  Rather than taking them back, I put them into the refashion pile thinking that I could trim them down to my size.  This morning, my youngest was trying to find something to wear to the first day of golf camp and was very upset when I insisted she could not wear her one collared dress because it was dirty (it was worn yesterday).  So the little wheels in my brain began to turn.  Could I turn a men's size L shirt into a girls dress?  Of course I could!!  In fact, I could use 2 shirts and make it into a more interesting girls golf dress!

I started with 2 identical shirts: one white and one light blue shirt (tags still on):
 
I forgot to take a 'before' photo before chopping off a sleeve :)
I started by cutting off the sleeves and cutting up the side seams of the shirts keeping the shoulder seam intact.  I marked the center line on the front and back and then I pulled out my trusty Jalie 2566 tee shirt pattern.  I cut out the front and back from the white shirt and cut the sleeves and skirt from the blue shirt.  

I gathered the skirt, keeping the original hem and sewed it to the bottom of the shirt.  To add a little more interest to the sleeves, I cut a white band and used the "Refrew techinique" of serging the bands to the bottom of the sleeves so there was no hemming!  

I swapped out the original wood-like buttons for some light blue & white ones from my button stash.  

Ta da!


A closeup of the front:

This took less than 2 hours from start to finish.  I hope she likes it!!

2 comments:

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...