Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

A Refashion: From Dad's Golf Shirt to Girl's Golf dress

My husband is rather fussy about his golf shirts.   I had purchased a few at Marshalls for $13 and they were quickly rejected as not being soft enough.  Rather than taking them back, I put them into the refashion pile thinking that I could trim them down to my size.  This morning, my youngest was trying to find something to wear to the first day of golf camp and was very upset when I insisted she could not wear her one collared dress because it was dirty (it was worn yesterday).  So the little wheels in my brain began to turn.  Could I turn a men's size L shirt into a girls dress?  Of course I could!!  In fact, I could use 2 shirts and make it into a more interesting girls golf dress!

I started with 2 identical shirts: one white and one light blue shirt (tags still on):
 
I forgot to take a 'before' photo before chopping off a sleeve :)
I started by cutting off the sleeves and cutting up the side seams of the shirts keeping the shoulder seam intact.  I marked the center line on the front and back and then I pulled out my trusty Jalie 2566 tee shirt pattern.  I cut out the front and back from the white shirt and cut the sleeves and skirt from the blue shirt.  

I gathered the skirt, keeping the original hem and sewed it to the bottom of the shirt.  To add a little more interest to the sleeves, I cut a white band and used the "Refrew techinique" of serging the bands to the bottom of the sleeves so there was no hemming!  

I swapped out the original wood-like buttons for some light blue & white ones from my button stash.  

Ta da!


A closeup of the front:

This took less than 2 hours from start to finish.  I hope she likes it!!

4 comments:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you've got produced in writing this article. I am hoping the same finest operate from you inside the potential also. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to start my personal Blog Engine weblog now.
    Junior girl golf apparel
    Girl golf outfits

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...