I chose one lavender and one dark purple shirt and after racking my brain for quite some time, decided on McCalls 6286 (now OOP).
I used the lavender shirt for the front, back and sleeves. The dark purple would be the collar and button band.
I had a rough time fitting this top. I cut a 14 and did a 1" FBA creating a bust dart. It was a little snug so I cut my pattern apart again and made it 1.5". This made everything worse. My muslin fit better than this:
|Dear God...Avert your eyes!|
I ripped out the bust dart and pointed it up toward the apex but wow...what a mess!
Long story short: the fit was horrible. If it wasn't for the contest, this would have gone right in the re-recycle pile.
Once I put it on, it looked like a waitress uniform, or worse, a bowling shirt.
|Contest entry photo|
The collar was pretty though:
I split the raglan sleeve into a 2 piece sleeve, and made my own piping to highlight the seam which came out nice (even though it added to the waitress vibe):
The back didn't even look good:
Needless to say I did not advance to Round #3 with this atrocity. Oh well. On to more exciting things.