Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getting Started: First post

Here is my first post in my new sewing blog.  My mom taught me to sew when I was quite young, first handsewing and I eventually graduated to the machine.  In high school I managed to sew a few things: skirts, a bathrobe, shorts, and a few sets of pajamas.  I really like the process of making something from nothing.  That same reasoning is why I like to cook as well!  As a college graduation gift, my mom gave me my own sewing machine!  It was an unexpected gift, since I hadn't done any sewing in college, but I was thrilled to be able to start up again.  I wasn't very focused on sewing, and usually made things for my various apartments: curtains, pillowcases, and Christmas Stockings.  Fast forward again, and I found myself living in Paris with my husband and 7 month old baby.  Walking around the fabric shops just made me drool...and wishing I had brought my machine with us. There's something about fabulous fabric that makes you want to cut into it and turn it into something great.

Fast forward to the present.  I'm living in India with my family, I brought my sewing machine with me, and have been exploring the city buying fabric, notions and books.   I have found tons of cottons, linens, and crepes.  Fabric here ranges from the reasonably priced to really inexpensive.  Tailoring is also inexpensive so if you aren't sewing savvy (and if you can find a good tailor) you can have clothes custom made for you.  I prefer to do it myself.

I have discovered a few websites where you can find or buy downloadable patterns and print them at home.  So I get inspired, print, cut, and sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...