Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

McCall's 5591: From Saree to Skirt

I went out shopping for a Diwali gift for my maid, and found a good inexpensive saree shop not far from my house.  I came home with 3 sarees for my maid, for upcoming holidays, etc...and 3 for me!  I had no intention of wearing them as sarees, but instead I wanted to cut them up and make something new from them.  A saree is 6 meters long, and for the pink one I used to make McCall's 5591, I paid 7 $US.  A pretty good deal, especially since I have 3 meters left!


Pattern Description:  Mid-knee length, pleated skirts have faced yoke and back zipper closure.  Skirt A has slash front pocket with band and contrasting lower band.  Skirts B and C have side seam pockets.  Skirt B has carriers and sash; Skirt C has ribbon trim at lower edge.  I made Skirt B without the carriers and without pockets.

Pattern Sizing: (14-22) I cut a 18, but should have cut the waistband smaller.  The size of the waist is actually printed on the pattern pieces!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? No problems

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the box pleats of the skirt, it's the kind of skirt that has a lot of volume, but doesn't add weight to your bottom half.  Win-win!

Fabric Used: I used a polyester crepe saree, and have about 3 meters left to make something else.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  The saree fabric has a printed border along the bottom edge, which I kept.  Since it was on the selvage, I didn't even bother to hem it, which sped up the time it took me to sew!  I also omitted the pockets and the sash and carriers.  For the yoke lining, I used a pink cotton shirting to give some more stability to the yoke.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  It is a cute skirt, and yes, I would recommend it to others and sew it again.

Conclusion:   A nice addition to my wardrobe.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...