Saturday, October 8, 2011 is a good pattern :)

I've been seeing reviews and blogs raving about the infamous Collette Patterns Sorbetto top for ages.  I really couldn't see what the fuss was about.  It's a simple tank, with bias tape on the neckline and armholes, and a pleat down the front.  Yawn.  After several months of yawns from me, I realized that the pattern was FREE!  Well that changes things doesn't it?  Free and downloadable means that I could make a Sorbetto myself and see what the fuss was about.

I took a trip out to one of my most consistent fabric shops on Wednesday to get fabric for Halloween costumes.  It was about 30 minutes closer than my other favorite shop where I knew I would find Cinderella blue satin.  While I was there, I checked out the pile (literally a pile on the floor) of end pieces of fabrics.  I found some pink tie dyed cotton with 'bleached' white flowers.  I initially thought I could use it for something for the girls...but...hee hee hee.  It was destined for me!  There was plenty of fabric (about 1.4m) for something silly like 132 Rupees ($2.70 at today's exchange rate), so a Sorbetto it would become!

I traced off a size 8 and did a 'tissue fit' and realized that the straps seemed a little short, and the bust dart was too long.  So I shortened the bust dart by 1", which is a pretty normal occurrence for me.  Just to be safe, I added length to the straps figuring it would better to be safe than short.  I also did a swayback adjustment.

I initially did an inverted pleat on the front thinking that I wouldn't like it the way it was designed.  But once I tried it on, I realized that the hem became very blousey and not flattering.  So out came the seam ripper and the inverted pleat popped back out.  I adjusted the shoulders quite a bit.  While trying it on, I had a bit of a duh moment when I realized that my shoulders slope differently.  My right shoulder is higher and less sloping than my left.  I actually already knew this after a visit to a physiotherapist, but it never occurred to me to translate that knowledge to my sewing.  I made my own bias tape with matching fabric.  I figured that using white bias tape would draw too much attention away from the funky print.
Forgive the squinting, I chose to
shoot in the sun rather than use a flash
Back view, note the nicely fitting shoulders

Anyhoo...long story short...the Sorbetto was a piece of cake.  So the Simple Sorbetto=a Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...