Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas Dress for my Youngest: McCalls 5798

This past summer on my huge stock up trip to Hancock Fabrics before returning to India, I found a great butterfly print fabric.  I snapped up at least 2 yards of it thinking that I could use it to replace this horribly stained, stretched, and well loved dress of my youngest daughter:

                                          

With Christmas in the air, I finally decided that I should use that butterfly fabric to make McCalls 5798.  My Northeastern American brain still has trouble picturing a Christmas dress as being sleeveless, but it works great in the brrr 28'C-33'C (82'F-90'F) "chilly winter" days of Southern India.    
Here is the finished dress.  I have to say it is even CUTER on.  There was a lot of gathering to do, but I needed something to occupy myself while watching reruns of Glee on TV, so it worked out well.  :)


Here is my official pattern review:

McCalls 5798
Pattern Description:  Girls Top, Dresses & Pants.  I made Dress View B with a contrast yoke
Dresses have a gathered bodice with hidden elastic casing and self faced yoke.  

Pattern Sizing: 7-14 girls.  I graded down the bodice and yoke about 2 sizes and left the skirt pieces as is.  

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  This is a cute girly dress with great "spin" factor.  Little girls love twirly dresses.  :)

Fabric Used:  Cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I graded the bodice and yoke down about 2 sizes, but left the skirt pieces the same as for a size 7.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes!

Conclusion:  This dress came out even cuter than I had imagined.  I love the contrast yoke, and it works great with the dense butterfly print.   The dress is barely out of the wash before my daughter asks where it is so she can wear it again.  







1 comment:

  1. So cute! I really appreciate your review - my 11-yr-old is making this for 4-H this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...