Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Witch Costume: Simplicity 2845

While I have one child who wanted to be a porcupine for Halloween, my eldest wanted to be a rather boring non-interesting, witch.  Sigh.

I chose Simplicity 2845 because it was a simple raglan sleeve dress with elasticized neckline, that can be morphed into any variety of costumes.  It also had pattern pieces for a witch's cape which she wanted to have.  I chose to spend $2 on a hat at Walmart rather than spending time on making one.  Much simpler.

For the dress and cape fabric I used a crushed velvet panne from Joann's.  I wanted to line the cape with a contrasting color to make the costume more interesting.  I chose a purple satin and used it to line both the collar and cape.

There's not much to say about the pattern except that it runs BIG.  I was going to make a Medium (size 6-8), but then I saw the finished bust size on the pattern...it was 38.75" (98.5cm)!!!  I could wear that!!  The ease was listed as 14.25" (36cm).   So I made the Small (size 2-4) instead and double checked the length before cutting it out.  It was still plenty roomy, but the gathered neckline keeps the roominess under control.

I think the pattern is great.  It's super simple.  I used my serger for all assembly and didn't need to hem either the sleeves or the dress.  

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...