Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Look what I have CREATED!

Let it be known that this morning, March 12, 2013 at 9:02am Eastern Daylight Time, something unexpectedly wonderful was born. 
This is EXACTLY how I feel about my latest creation:


Are you ready?  I, Meigan, made...a...bathing suit!  An Awesome Bathing Suit.  It is so awesome that I am posting photos of me wearing it (and without makeup).  Presenting...Jalie 3023:


Seriously, it is an awesome pattern.  It is a 2 piece suit, the bottoms have an optional skirt, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Side View

Yes, it is 2 pieces

This is the pattern (my first Jalie!!):

I bought the fabric from Spandex World which sounds like a sketchy place, but it has a great selection of swimwear fabric.  

What else can I say?  Oh!  The sizing on the pattern is very good.  One thing to note is where they show the hip measurement to be taken.  For me, it's more at my high hip.  The widest part of my hip is a bit lower, unfortunately it's right about where the skirt ends, but the briefs underneath are perfect.  Due to my particular shape, including my 'athletic thighs', the skirt is a tiny bit tight (since it's stretchy, hardly noticeable), so next time I may flare the skirt out a bit more to give me a bit more room and make it so the skirt won't have the tendency to ride up.

There is top-stitching along the contrast bands which I did with a twin needle.  There is also top-stitching at the top of the (blue) bodice.  Once I did finished top-stitching, the front became a little wavy whereas it wasn't before.  It's not terrible by any means, but I may not top-stitch there next time.  I stitched bra cups to interior lining with a zig-zag stitch.  

So how do I feel about this suit?
Like this:

That is some serious Swimsuit Love!!










13 comments:

  1. How adorable!! Jalie patterns are so fun. You did a great job!!

    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ok, i'm going to try it too! Your suit is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that is so cute, love the fabric and the fit is fantastic. Now I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This suit is all sorts of amazing! It fits spectacularly and is so well stitched. I have a fear of sewing swimwear due to a botched bikini attempt as a teenager, and your creation makes me want to give it another try.

    p.s. Wish I looked as great as you do without makeup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! :) And seriously, you can do this!!

      Delete
  5. Way to go! I found your blog via your PR review, as I am trying desperately to figure out how to sew the straps onto my top. What am I missing??? I've sewn lots of Jalie patterns before, and this is the least intuitive one I've come across. (Just saying that because if you did this no problem, buy more Jalie patterns. You'll love 'em!)
    Thanks for any tips you can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people have some trouble with the strap instructions. I'll plan on making up a little tutorial to show how it was done. Thanks for the idea :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, the strap instruction post is UP! I hope it helps :)
      http://getmystitchon.blogspot.com/2013/04/those-jalie-3023-bathing-suit-straps.html

      Delete
  6. It's awesome!! Thanks so much for linking it to the SwimAlong!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...