Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

More Springing Ahead! Simplicity 2437

I am ready for Spring.  I am also ready to head off to the sun and the beach at the end of the month.  My spring fever made me whip up a new summer dress for my youngest, Simplicity 2437.

It is a "Learn to Sew" pattern and has extensive instructions.  I couldn't find the smaller size range in this pattern, so I had to grade down from a size 7 to about a size 5.  Instead of making a top or tunic, I made the skirt extra long and turned it into a dress.  I chose the shorter elasticized sleeves.

I used a cotton dotted swiss with a sweet floral pattern that my youngest picked out of my stash.  It went together very quickly and easily.  The sleeves are kimono style, so there are no sleeves to set in.  I underlined the skirt with some fine white cotton and used french seams wherever I could: at the shoulders and skirt side seams.  The bodice is sewn to the skirt and the seam allowance is pressed downward and a casing is made by sewing close to the raw edges of the seam allowance.  Raw edges??  RAW EDGES!!  Not in this house!!  I serged the seam allowances together and then made the casing.  Much neater.  See:

For the facings, I used a bit of shirting fabric that magically matched the background of my fabric.  I must like the color, because it also matches the walls of my sewing room.  :)

Here's the dress on my little friend:
I'm not a fan of my kids' faces on the internet, hence the flower :)

I wrapped the left front of the bodice over the right because of the print layout.   She loves it and can't wait for the temperatures to rise so she can wear it to school.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...