Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Blogger Meetup in Richmond!

When Renee of Miss Celie's Pants wanted to organize a meetup in Richmond to see the Hollywood Costume Exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, I was definitely in!  Immediately my brain asked the question "What am I going to wear?  This is serious...I'm going to meet Miss Celie's Pants and The Slapdash Sewist, I've got to wear something GOOD!"  My pink coat was a given, but what else?  I mentally went through my entire wardrobe thinking of dresses or skirts or refashions, but in the end I decided to be true to myself and wear something that I'm completely comfortable in: my Jalie jeans and a knit top.  Since it was a special occasion, I did made a new knit top: the Jalie Sweetheart top #2794.   I'll do a proper write up of that top another post. 

Without further ado, here's some photos!

Tommie and Renee


Me & Trena


Tommie, Trena, Renee, & Me!

The meetup plan was to attend the Hollywood Costume Exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

The afternoon started out at a local pizza place where Tommie, who blogs at Unseamly Girl Blog, and I met and had lunch.  She is an avid runner who had run earlier in the morning in honor of Meg Menzies.  On this fact alone, I can tell that she's a good person.  She was wearing a denim Moss miniskirt from Grainline patterns and a very cool thin black tee over a black camisole.  Sewing is totally cool.  :)

From the pizza place (I behaved and had a chef salad) we went to the VMFA and met up with Renee & Trena.  "Oohh...there they are!" I said as I got my first glimpse while coming down the stairs toward them.  It was sort of like a celebrity sighting without the nervousness.  Renee was wearing her sweatshirt dress, which was so impeccably sewn I thought it was RTW.  Trena was wearing a new ITY knit dress which was anything but slapdash, with color coordinated glasses & jewelry.  Talk about having it all together!

The exhibit was awesome.  Kate Winslet's white dress from Titanic was on display and wow, just wow.  The layout, use, and the matching of the stripes was amazing, and gorgeous.

Another jaw-dropper was the wedding dress worn by Vanessa Redrave in the 1967 movie Camelot.  Look at this thing of beauty:


Source



Source
The train on that dress is covered with thousands of pumpkin seeds!  (use hand to manually close mouth).  The dress overlay is crocheted and decorated with tiny seashells.  A-maz-ing!!
 
Enough about the exhibit, but if you are ever nearby--go see it!!
 
This was my first blogger meet-up and it didn't disappoint.  It is so much fun to discuss patterns, stash, fabrics, and everything else with people who care about those things too!  I don't have anyone else IRL with whom I can share my sewing excitement, and our afternoon together flew by.  I would have happily chatted with them for several more hours.  Even now, I keep thinking of more and more things I should have asked them all.  Time flies when you talk sewing!
 
Thank you Renee for organizing our meet-up and for bringing Trena with you.  And thank you Tommie for joining us too!
 



4 comments:

  1. I wish I was able to make it to the exhibit with you guys! It looks like a fun on, too. That must have been crazy awesome to see all those costumes!! And P.S. Can't wait to see the write up about your top, that looks really cute!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun.. Proud you girls had so much fun..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time. Isn't it wonderful how the blog world brings us all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meeting other sewing bloggers is the. best. thing. ever. I'm glad you all had so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...