I managed to do a bit of sewing for my girls this Christmas. First up is a blue corduroy skirt that I made using Jalie 2908 (yes, the jeans pattern) for a starting point. I wanted to replace a denim skirt that she had loved to death, and I could not find a fly front denim-type skirt pattern. This was my result:
I used gray topstitching thread for all of the topstitching. The pockets and fly shield were made from light blue poly crepe.
I made the length of the skirt a few inches below the knee and added a kick pleat to the back.
Altering my pattern from jeans to a skirt was very straightforward. I angled out from the widest point of the hip creating a flare for the front and back. For the center front and back seams, I drew a straight line extending the center front at the fly, and center back at the widest part of the hip, down to my new hemline. The only change I made was rotating the lower edge of back pockets outward toward the side seam. As located per the pattern the pockets were a little odd looking and too parallel to the center back seam:
After rotating them outward...much better:
Next up for my Christmas sewing was a Jalie 2566 cardigan made with an argyle interlock knit.
My buttons were small pink hearts. I thought I should use them while my daughter is still young enough to think they are cute. She really likes this top. I think the band lays strangely at the top button. My version of this cardigan has this same issue, perhaps it is a pattern issue rather than an operator issue. Much to my surprise, this pattern seems to be OOP.
Next up are 2 long sleeve versions of McCalls 6787 for my youngest. The first one is made from a printed cotton jersey from Spandexworld.com.
The second version used a rayon knit for the top and a quilting cotton for the skirt. I think it came out adorable:
That's it for my Christmas sewing. It was a big success. :)