Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Tis' Not Quite the Season


January in the northern hemisphere isn't the normal time of year to make swimwear, but that is what I have been doing.  It started because a friend called me up to ask if I could make her daughter 2 new swimsuits since she is doing winter swimming and is in desperate need of a new suit.  I whipped up 2 new Jalie 3134 racerback suits, and since the swim elastic was out, and the stretch needle was on the machine, I figured that was my sign to work on a Jalie 3350 for me.

Jalie 3350

I made view A with the open back and sweetheart neckline.  I made a straight size Y.  I initially did a FBA on the cups, but I wound up tearing the whole thing apart when the cups were WAY too big.  To conserve fabric I re-cut the same pieces to be a straight size Y and they are fine now.  If you are small busted, you might find the cups to be very roomy.  I would have preferred the straps to be wider and firmer to give more support.   That's a change that can be easily implemented next time.





I added sew-in swim bra cups and hand sewed them in.  



It has been a while since I have worn a 1 piece swimsuit, and to be honest, I'm not sure how much I will wear this one.  There's nothing wrong with the suit itself, it's just how I feel in it.



This suit is not the only thing I have been working on.  I have made a few more versions of the Orange Lingerie Marlborough Bra.  My reason for learning how to make bras was to incorporate an underwire into a swimsuit.  I have been working on a bikini top with an underwire and a foam cup!





This is highly experimental and is very much a case of sewing by the seat of my pants, but I am learning.  I have purchased 2 book on bra making and I'm hoping to devour all of the information in them and apply it to swimwear and bra making.

 :)


3 comments:

  1. Making a swimsuit with cups and underwire IS MY DREAM!! I will drive myself back to VA and make you teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!!! And the bra experiment, I totally want to make foam cup bras. You look really good in the bathing suit. The back detail is great. And you have to put this in the Activewear contest on Pattern Review if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bathing suit looks awesome! The color and fit look wonderful on you! You're making me actually consider sewing bras/swimsuits. haha

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...