Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Doll's Dresses


I made 2 really cute dresses for my daughters' friend's birthday.  They are made to fit an American Girl doll or any other 18" doll.  The pattern is Butterick 5553, a See & Sew pattern.

B5553
 It is a simple pattern and I made 2 versions, both of which are adorable:


The one on the left is made with some block printed fabric I bought in India.  It has been languishing in my stash for years and I have been looking for a suitable pattern.  Who knew it would be so cute on a doll?  I omitted the yoke pieces and cut the front and back from the lining pieces.  Yes, the bodice is lined on a doll's dress!  The hem band was made from the border on the fabric.  Indian fabrics typically have a fancy border which will be used to dress up necklines and sleeve hems.


The dress on the right uses a cotton with purple, pink & red flowers and a matching purple cotton for the contrast yoke and hem band.


For both dresses, I used sew on snaps rather than velcro for the back closure.


They were so cute, I almost hated to give them away.

3 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous. I had two dolls like that, and made all kinds of clothes for them including a replica of Princess Diana's wedding dress. It was great drafting practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve just found your blog and I’d like to say that I’m in love with it!
    Interesting posts, beautiful photos & design! It’s really amazing!
    Great job! I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are cute! I know why you didn't want to give them away.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...