Pattern Review is currently holding a Jeans contest. I love making jeans so I knew I would make a new pair to enter in the contest. The contest requests detail photos of rivets, topstitching, etc., so this was an excellent chance to add rivets to my jeans!
Once I play with it some more, I'll write up a review, but for now I'll say this: it's so quiet and wow do I love the thread cutter feature!
I used Jalie 2908 again. I have been tempted by the Ginger Jeans pattern, but it really doesn't seem that different from the Jalie pattern, so I haven't purchased it. No need to spend money on another pattern when I just spent some on...a new sewing machine!! That's right, I have upgraded my 17 year old Singer to a new Pfaff Expression 3.5! Woo Hoo!
|Pfaff Expression 3.5|
Back to the jeans. I used a black and tan stretch denim from Fabric Mart. I think there is 2% lycra, but it's no longer listed on their website, so I can't be positive.
I successfully installed rivets. It took a few trials and a trip to the hardware store but I did it! I bought my rivets from TaylorTailor. I initially tried to use small scraps of denim as spacers for the rivets as described in this tutorial, but it didn't work for me; there were way too many layers of spacers needed. Instead I used wire cutters like this pair, to nip off the top of the rivet to just above the fabric. I tried to use a piece of wood underneath the rivet while hammering it on, and it was not hard enough. The wood dented before the rivet cap attached. I went to the hardware store in search of a smooth metal plate I could use as an anvil while pounding on my rivets. Success! I am thankful that my locally owned hardware store staff is friendly, helpful, and doesn't look at me like I'm crazy when I ask for a "small piece of steel I can use as anvil when pounding on things." :)
Here are my beautiful antique nickel rivets:
The rivets really add a professional touch to the jeans. All of my jeans from now on will have rivets!
Another thing I did differently was to make a pocket stay. I used Closet Case File's tutorial and some cotton from the stash:
While I wouldn't describe the effect of the pocket stay as a "tummy tamer" I do like the fact that the pockets always stay in place. That alone is worth it. :)
As far as fit and construction, I did my usual adjustments: cut a size AA, used a curvier back yoke, straighter leg (slight flare), and since the denim was stretchy, I cut the waistband on-grain and did not interface. To prevent the back yoke from stretching out while wearing, I added 1/4" wide twill tape to the top of the yoke before attaching the waistband. I really really hate it when pants gap in the back, so this eliminates the possibility. Any stretch that needs to take place around my middle can happen along the front, where my extra fluff is.
|adding twill tape to back yoke|
In the past, I haven't been very daring when it comes to back pocket design, but now things have changed! I took advantage of some of the decorative stitches on my new machine and added some interest to the back pockets:
I used top-stitching thread (Gutermann Mara 30) and let the machine do the rest!
Here are the back views:
So there you go, another successful pair of jeans!