Monday, June 6, 2011

McCall's 6011: Was supposed to be a dress, but then turned into a skirt

Yellow striped shirting cotton.  As I was laying out my pattern piece, I made a shocking discovery.  My “shirting piece” as they are called here in India which are 2.25m long, are actually only 35” WIDE!  Ack!!  That’s not remotely wide enough for the skirt!  Ack!  Creativity was in order.  I decided on making a gored skirt!  I folded up my pattern piece and made 6 (actually 7) gores, and was lucky clever enough to line up the subtle stripes perfectly.  I forgot that I could have put a side zipper in, and had already cut out my back piece with a center seam, so I put the zipper in the CB anyway.   I am new to using invisible zippers and could use more practice putting them in.   

For the hem, I used Gertie's tutorial for hemming a circle skirt found here and part 2 here.

This has turned out to be one of my favorite skirts.  The fabric was a dream to sew, and it's so flattering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...