Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Simplicity 2590: 1st and 2nd versions

Simplicity 2590
I wanted something similar to Vogue 1224 which everyone on patternreview.com loves.  Since I live in a country where paper patterns are unavailable (India), I was forced to find something that I could download and print at home (without breaking the bank).  I downloaded the Simplicity pattern from sewingpatterns.com

For my first version of this dress I made View B skirt with View C sleeves.  I cut a 14 on the top and a 16 for the skirt.  I used a green crepe saree for the fabric.


The straight skirt is not flattering on a pear shaped girl. I am clearly not pleased with how this looks on as you can tell from the expression on my face.  However, it is cool and comfortable for heading to the pool.  

Version 2: Greatly improved result. 
For this version I used the flared skirt, which is much more flattering and gives the appearance of a more balanced figure.  The fabric is a palm print gauzy cotton blend(maybe), and the allover print makes this dress look easy and breezy.
                      Speaking of breezy....
Not quite Marilyn-esque
I had no problems with the directions or the pattern.  The belt I made from Simplicity 2892

If I were to make this pattern again, I would probably shorten the torso and locate the top of the skirt directly on the waistline rather than dropped down.

2 comments:

  1. Your pattern review is so helpful- great results- I am pear afflicted too, so now I can sew on with confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first looked at your photo and said "darn, we should have vacationed in Florida or took a cruise this Summer!" I love the Turquoise and White version.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...