Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

New Look 6913

I made this top from a set of 'dress materials' I bought.  This fabric was meant to the be the top (shirt) for an Indian outfit. The pattern has a red and beige speckled background with different color paisleys.  Before I cut out my pattern I had to do a little research to find out which way is up on a paisley.  My research led me to discover that the paisley pattern can often represent a mango or a seed, which means: pointy side is up!  Here is a closeup:
Closeup

Finished Product


Here is my official review:

New Look 6913
Pattern Description:  Pullover top.  I make view D, with rounded yoke and short sleeves

Pattern Sizing: According to my bust measurement I should have cut a 14, but there was 7” of ease at the bust, so I cut a 12. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, no problems

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I need simple tops that work with woven fabrics.  I can’t buy knit fabrics here, so my options for cute tops are limited.  The neck binding required lots and lots and lots of pins since it was both a slippery fabric and cut on the bias. 

Fabric Used: polyester crepe from a set of ‘dress materials’

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  My sewing machine BROKE (see my previous blog post entitled "Jinxed" for more on that) right when I was going to stitch in the ditch to attach the neck facing, so I was forced to hand sew it on. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I’m not sure how I feel about the appearance of the yoke where it attaches to the sleeves.  I think that it may be more attractive to have the gathers on the front extend the entire way across the yoke, rather than centered in the middle.  Perhaps, next time, I will try that out.  
I would recommend it to others.

Conclusion:  While not my absolute favorite top, the fabric coordinates with SO much in my current wardrobe, I’m sure I will wear it a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...