Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A White Wadder

So my progress has been "one step forward, one back".  I have been working on a dress for a White Christmas Ball this weekend and was originally going to make Butterick 4957, but then realized that I had recently purchased Simplicity 2692.  I bought the pattern for View E/F but then decided that View B without the sash would be more useful in my wardrobe and with a red sash would work for the White Christmas Ball.

I started by making the lining rather than doing a muslin (possibly mistake #1).  Then once I decided to cut out my fabric, it was slipping around a bit and I had trouble cutting out the armholes (mistake #2).  

The instructions tell you to gather the shoulders of the fabric so that the final length of the shoulder seam matches the shoulder seam on the lining.  I didn't do that very well and the fabric wound up a bit longer than the lining (mistake #3).  The fit wound up being not great, worse on the left side where the front of the armhole gaped significantly more than the right side.  So 1+2+3=Zero   I decided to call it a loss, stop stressing, put it aside, and wear something I have in my closet.   Sigh.

Front view: not impressive
Gaping left armhole

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I read every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...