We are 19 days in to Me Made May and I have only taken 2 days off. I pledged to wear me-made 5 days a week so I am doing very well! Both of those days off were Saturdays and were chock full of the kids' activities which required me to schlep to soccer/softball fields and sit in the sun or (as was the case yesterday) in the rain. Apart from my newly made tee shirts, I don't have many me made tops that have sleeves which I need when out in the sun. That is definitely a wardrobe hole. Another need I have is shorts. I have started a muslin for a pair of Sewaholic Thurlow shorts. I cut a straight size 12 even though I was worried the waist would be too small. However...that was not a problem, quite the opposite. The hips were ok, perhaps a tiny bit big, but the waist was huge! Check it out:
I am always perplexed when there is such a big difference between what I expect and what is. (That applies to life in general-not just sewing) I will be taking these in along the sides and may take some fabric out at the center front as well. There are some very good things about this pattern, but in it's current state it is definitely a work in progress.
But let's get back to Me-Made-May!
Wednesday May 15, Day 15:
Hey look! A new Tee shirt for me! Another Butterick 5354, this time made in a Rayon blend Tee shirt knit from Denver Fabrics (which is very soft, thin, and it wrinkles like crazy!)
|Love this neckline!!|
Thursday May 16:
A warm day needs a summery top. My first Sorbetto was pulled out!
And guess what else? I got a wireless remote control for my camera! Ka-Pow!
Friday May 17: My husband (who works from home) and I went out to play 9 holes of golf in the afternoon. I wore my orange (aka "light tangerine") Kwik Sew 3341 for the first time. There are knit attached shorts underneath the skirt and I was a little worried that I had made them too short to be comfortable playing golf (or doing anything in the heat). I almost changed my mind about wearing them but decided to suck it up and give it a go.
I don't have many collared shirts that will go with an orange skirt. I chose navy rather than black to avoid a Halloweenish outfit. Verdict on the skirt: yes the shorts are too short, but everything else is great. I may add on a strip of matching fabric to the bottom of the shorts to lengthen them. Oh, and I could use a white polo shirt.
Saturday May 18: Day off of MMM. I pledged to wear me-made items 5 days a week so I haven't broken that pledge yet :)
Sunday May 19:
Once again a whole Me-Made outfit! The top is my just completed (yesterday in fact) Jalie 2566. Let me tell you it is a great tee shirt pattern. It is quick, classic, and versatile. I've made 3 versions for my girls and finally got around to making myself one. It may even be better than the Sewaholic Renfrew. I had fewer wrinkles under the armpits with the Jalie. I plan on doing a side by side comparison to evaluate and decide for sure. The skirt is my second version of Kwik Sew 3341. When I made this version, I lengthened both the skirt and the shorts underneath. Smart move. The shorts are perfect: there's no bunching or riding up and no 'chub rub'. :)
That's it for now, more soon!